Earlier posts outlined some of the features of a flourishing organisation, and ways that agencies may need to think differently if they are to make progress. These arose from thinking about cities. They can equally be used as a framework for reflecting on any set of activities ??? and here are being used to assess where my own work (captured on this website) might be going.
This has highlighted some of the things that I will need to emphasise more over the next three years. These include:
- Being able to clearly articulate why I wish to occupy myself in this way ??? the purposes behind what is being done ??? with sufficient ???presence???/ confidence/ self-determination whilst still being tentative/ modest.
- Responding to current concerns and interests without slipping into populist reactionism ??? Still being at least a little bit different in what is being undertaken ??? having more challenge to the aspirations, pushing myself in what I am comfortable doing.
- Reflecting on what is being done, without endless internal activity that is of little value to anyone else
- Being more active in engaging with others (authentically rather than simply clocking up more and more links/ likes/ followings) ??? countering it being a solitary undertaking ??? looking for more things that might require collaboration with others.
- Actively promoting content/writing, and asserting myself as author, without unnecessarily heavy self-promotion
- Maintaining an approach that is based on puzzling, wondering, being curious for its own sake ??? as well as aiming to produce stuff that could be of value/use to others.
- Covering costs without being a money-driven set of activities ??? with most things being freely available to anyone ??? things done voluntarily.
That???s it: I have my list of commitments that I have already signed-up to, and this sense of next-step directions to follow. Time to get on with it all.