The focus of this section is on art and creativity as these play out in society today. Content is produced as an interested observer rather than through any claim of expertise in art history, art theory or art practices. It is more along the lines of ‘some varied thoughts on…’; with strands of thought loosely connecting across with other broad themes on this site, i.e. contemporaneity, learning, cities, flourishing, speculation, research, writings, place, progress, urban existence……..and so on.
This section is a space for a range of short thinkpieces with a broad connection to art and creativity. Current articles are:
- Mastering contemporary art: If these are the answers what were the questions?
- Writing in relation to art exhibition ‘Metropolis: Reflections on the modern city’
- Vancouver: memories, images and realities – A fictional account
- Contemporary Art: Is it possible to claim any sense of progress
- Leger, entropy and me: A beginner’s simple exercise in contemporary art
- Thinking about ‘Contemporary’: a hesitant exploration
- Some exploratory thoughts on Progress
- Researcher in residence
- Some lines of thought emerging from being Researcher in Residence
- Curating, creative undertakings and exhibiting
- Contemporary Public Art and non-capital Cities
- Birmingham : a creative city?
The Gallery contains a varied range of images without titles or further explanations. The images range across dimensions such as ambiguity/clarity; complexity/simplicity; urban/rural; constructed/natural…….and so on. Over time the images may change fairly randomly as the mood takes me. A selection appear in the sidebar as a taster. The images are free for anyone to enjoy and use and are made available for non-commercial, non-profit use (with an acknowledgement of this website being the source). Ultimately we assert our right to be recognised as the originators of all materials on this website, including the Gallery images.